Tuesday, January 10, 2012

SYTYCS Entry, Week Two: Envelope Clutch


This week's So You Think You Can Sew challenge is "Repurposed Items."

Most of the things I thought of making at first have already been done (a lot).  I spent a lot of time staring at old sweaters and worn out jeans.  I was just not feeling inspired. So, I abandoned my box of sweaters and headed over to the thrift store.

I wandered the aisles, looking for inspiration to strike.  The first thing I found that struck my fancy was a cream placemat.  It was nothing special.  It was a little stained, too.  But, I liked the pleating around the edges.  I was really excited, though, when a found a brightly colored table runner.  I may have done a tiny little jump of joy.  :)  It was perfect.
I thought it would look cute as a clutch purse.  I thought perhaps it could even look a little Anthropologie-esque.

I used the placemat as the inside lining for the clutch.  I made a cell phone pocket out of it, too, making sure to use some of the lovely pleating.

And, to give it a little something extra, I made a tassel out of the table runner's fringe.

I think it turned out pretty cute.  A nice little purse for a night out.



(Voting is open!  I'd love it if you headed over to Mommy By Day...Crafter By Night and voted for me.  Thanks!)  Also, the tutorial is now up!

12 comments:

Kathleen said...

Awesome!! You are so talented!

Sharon said...

I like it! And I love that you made that tassel - it's a great touch!

Susan said...

Love that pleating! Super great job. I'd buy it. And I agree with Sharon - the tassel is a nice touch. Best of luck, Jenger.

Meg said...

That is pretty awesome!

Meg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany Fife Buckmiller said...

That purse is awesome! And your photographs are looking awesome! Especially the one of you holding the purse ;)

Fiona said...

That is a fantastic purse. Well done!

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea, i like it so much!
Best of luck from Italy,
ClaraBelle

Susan@Success/Fail DIY Projects said...

Love the clutch and how you found the supplies. It's so original too, in my opinion!

Rosie said...

Please, please, please, please can we have a tutorial on how to make this?

LOVE your idea and am going to follow you to see how well you do in round 3!

Rosie xx

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely stunning! Do you have a tutorial for it? Love it!!!

Natalie
www.projectdowhatyoulove.wordpress.com

Very Veronique said...

CComepletely awesome! voted for you:)) msveve.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...