Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pink and Gray Necklace and Tutorial

Necessity is the mother of invention, yes?  I find that my best creations come when I'm trying to fill some specific need, rather than crafting for crafting's sake.  This time, it's my Pink and Gray Necklace.  My Brother-in-law is getting married this summer.  Their colors are pink and silver/gray, so I wanted to wear a dress to their wedding that coordinated with their colors.  I finished that dress this week (post coming soon!), but it needed a necklace.  I had the perfect idea in my head of what I thought would look good with it, but couldn't easily find a necklace like what I wanted.  So, I made one. 

And, I had the forethought to take pictures as I made it, so you get to see how to make one too! 

To make this necklace, you'll need some monofilament, two jump rings, your desired number of beads (I used 17), and 36 inches of ribbon.

Begin with a jump ring.  Mine isn't exactly a jump ring, but it's what I had on hand.  Tie some monofilament to your ring.  (I just use fishing line, it's a lot cheaper than buying monofilament at a craft store.)

Next, string on your beads.  The rest of the necklace will be ribbon, so you don't need the length of beads to fit all the way around your neck. 

After your last bead, tie another jump ring onto your monofilament.  Snip any extra monofilament off. 

Thread ribbon through each jump ring.  I used about 18 inches of ribbon, folded in half (to make a length of 9 inches after tied onto your necklace), for each side. 

Tie a neat knot in the ribbon over each jump ring.

Tie the ribbons around your neck in a pretty bow and wear your new necklace!




11 comments:

Sweet Floweret said...

so cute!
i love making necklaces.
It would be so great if you'd link it up to my 20 minute tuesday party today!
http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com

Tina

Tabitha said...

That's such a pretty necklace! I never thought of using fishing wire before. Thanks for that money saving tip. My husband will be thrilled. lol

Kristy Armstrong said...

Very pretty!

Just Jaime said...

So cute!! Thanks for the tutorial!

Michelle said...

what a super cute idea! following you from I heart nap time ;)

--Michelle

Sachiko said...

This is such a pretty necklace. I bet it goes well with many outfits!
Thank you for sharing your creation with us!

Janet said...

This is gorgeous!

Great job!

www.iheartmygluegun.com

nest full of eggs said...

gorgeous !

Delilah said...

i couldn't have found this at a better time. I just bought some beads for a great deal but didn't know how I should put them together. love the gray!

Delilah said...

i couldn't have found this at a better time. I just bought some beads for a great deal but didn't know how I should put them together. love the gray!

Michelle said...

What a pretty necklace and thrifty, have to give this a try :)
Found you on pinterest...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...